First time in Barcelona?
You will be visiting one of the most beautiful cities in Spain, actually let me say in the world. But what makes Barcelona super beautiful? I would say one of the reasons is the weather. Sunny days all year round, believe me. Secondly I would say because Barcelona has both beach & mountain and thirdly because the food is incredible! Hope you like fish and sea food, otherwise, you are going to be in trouble.
Here are some important facts you should keep in mind for your first time in Barcelona and some fun activities to do whilst in Barcelona.
10 THINGS TO DO during your first trip to Barcelona.
1. HOW TO GET TO THE CITY CENTRE OF BARCELONA FROM THE AIRPORT.
•We only have one airport in town, so it’s really simple to buy a ticket to Barcelona. It can also be very easy to get to your hotel. There are only two terminals, 1 and 2 (free shuttle buses from terminal 1 to 2 and vice versa) and there are also four ways that you can get into the city:
1.Taxi – The easiest and most expensive way; 30 minutes (between 30-40€).
2.Train – Only departure from terminal 2; 1 hour (2,5€ single ticket).
3.Metro – Just inside the airport; usually 1 hour (4,9€).
4. The one that we like the most is the Aerobus, which is in both terminals. As you travel you get the chance to see part of the city as you get to Plaza Catalunya which is the last stop. Depending on traffic; a 25-40 minute trip (5,9€).
TIP! Transport in Barcelona starts running at 5am and finishes at around 11pm-1am!
2. VISIT SAGRADA FAMILIA, YOUR MUST-SEE IN BARCELONA.
• If this is your first time in Barcelona, you cannot miss Sagrada Familia. This should be in your list of things to do in Barcelona. You have probably heard about Gaudí, this is the icon of the city. Even from the outside, it’s breath-taking.
TIP! Buy your tickets in advance, a couple of days before, if you don’t want to queue for hours. Tickets are usually sold out in high season!
3. GET LOST IN THE GOTHIC NEIGHBOURHOOD.
• Another important place you shouldn’t miss is the Gothic neighbourhood. We strongly recommend you visit here, as it has many fascinating alleys and secret corners. Walk along La Rambla, the most famous pedestrian street and possibly take some time to visit the Boquería Market. These places are definitely some of the most interesting things to do in Barcelona.
TIP! We would not recommend you eat near La Ramblas, as most of them are tourist traps!
First time in Barcelona. Photoshoot in Barcelona, Gothic Quarter by Pickapictour.
4. VISIT GAUDI BUILDINGS IN PASSEIG DE GRACIA.
• There is this avenue worth visiting called Passeig de Gracia. This is where the most expensive stores are and where the richest people used to live, which you can tell by the buildings. Two of Gaudí’s buildings are there: La Pedrera or Casa Milá and Casa Battló. If you have enough time during your trip in Barcelona, try visiting them both inside and out, as they are astonishing.
5. TRY TAPAS & PAELLA!
• Don’t leave Barcelona without trying traditional dishes, such as tapas and paella. There are many restaurants around town that you can visit where you can try these.
6. IF YOU LOVE BARCELONA FC…
• If you are a football fan, then Camp Nou will be a great place to go during your first time in Barcelona! You can buy your tickets for the museum on site at the moment.
7. STROLL ALONG THE MEDITERRANEAN SEE.
• Barcelona offers beaches & mountains, so a stroll along the seafront is a lovely thing you can do. Sunset is the best time to take a walk along the front. Start from the Christopher Columbus Monument, which is right at the end of La Rambla, and walk all the way down until you see the two tallest towers of Barcelona. Go through Barceloneta neighbourhood, which is known as the old fishermen’s village.
8. DON’T MISS PARK GÜELL DURING YOUR FIRST TRIP IN BARCELONA.
• Talking about mountains, Park Güell is the gem you need to see whilst in Barcelona. For us it is one of the best views in town. Park Güell is another of Gaudí’s wonders, you will need to buy the ticket in advance or you may have to queue for a couple of hours there.
TIP! For your first time in Barcelona, don’t forget to visit the hill of the 3 crosses, also known as Calvario hill. Enjoy an amazing view of Barcelona from the top.
9. GO AND SEE THE MAGIC FOUNTAIN IN BARCELONA.
• Finally we would definitely encourage you to visit the Magic Fountain in Plaza España. You may need to check the show times HERE before you visit but even if there is no show on the day, it’s still a beautiful place to go and see.
10. CHECK LOCAL EVENTS!
• The last tip for your first visit to Barcelona would be to check if there are any special events on the days you are visiting. Almost every month we have something different to celebrate, such us Carnivals in February, San Jordi in April, Sant Joan in June, Gracia neighbourhood party in August, Halloween in October, many concerts and special street markets all year round! Just check what to do in Barcelona in the time you are coming and hopefully go see them!
So, in conclusion, depending on the days you have, try selecting the places you think you are going to enjoy the most and fill your days. Hope this guide for first timers in Barcelona can help you!